Re: [whatwg] Correcting some misconceptions about Responsive Images

On May 17, 2012, at 11:20 AM, Matthew Wilcox <mail@matthewwilcox.com> wrote:

>>> This would be awesome.
>>
>> FWIW, I wanted to do this, but Google's policy of having us talk to
>> the patents guys before joining CGs turned me off from actually
>> joining.  So, I just followed from the side and couldn't interact
>> enough. :/
>
> Is this something that Google might be willing to bend somewhat? I.e.,
> when you're on the CG you're a free-agent and not representing Google?
> Or, for the sake of politics, could it be worked around in that
> instead of joining the CG you keep track of things via the RSS feed
> (it is after all public) and post to the WHATWG mailing list with
> "observations" every once in a while - as long as core CG members know
> to keep an eye out that's not necessarily a huge problem.
>
> I dunno, politics complicates stuff. And patenting open-web stuff to
> me seems wrong on any number of levels.

CGs actually have very little patent obligation compared to W3C Working Groups, so Apple has lighter weight approval for those than for WGs. Perhaps Google could consider the same thing. I believe the CG rules would not allow an employee of a W3C Member company to be a "free agent" though.

 - Maciej