Re: [whatwg] Features for responsive Web design

From: Kornel Lesiński <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 10:54:13 +0100
To: "Jacob Mather" <jmather@itsmajax.com>
Cc: whatwg <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On Thu, 17 May 2012 02:29:11 +0100, Jacob Mather <jmather@itsmajax.com>
wrote:

> As I said, I understand that it is a hard problem, but the question
> is, is it the correct problem.
>
> There are plenty of reasons not to do it, but is there any actual
> reason that the approach is less correct than the current proposals?

Yes, trading off latency to save bandwidth is definitely an incorrect
approach. Bandwidth will keep increasing much faster than latency
decreases (and there are hard physical limits to decreasing latency, while
bandwidth could go up to infinity).

On high-latency high-bandwidth connections (satellite, 3G/4G) it may
already be cheaper to download all versions of all images than to wait for
CSS to be able to select the right ones to load. Solution that requires
page layout for image loading is a step backwards for performance.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński