Re: [whatwg] Features for responsive Web design

From: Jacob Mather <jmather@itsmajax.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 15:33:56 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: whatwg <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Matthew Wilcox <mail@matthewwilcox.com>, PJ McCormick <pj@mynameispj.com>
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Jacob Mather <jmather@itsmajax.com> wrote:
>> Maybe this is the better question:
>>
>> Why does the pre-loader matter so much?
>
> Because it lets pages load faster.

Sure, but s that enough to make for a massive pile of junk-work to do
whenever a site is redesigned?

Could this not be better addressed through better/faster css
processing? There would still be more of a delay, but I'm just trying
to say that the trade-offs could be more than worth it.

>> Basing the selected image off of browser width is inherently
>> backwards. The content should be informed by the layout, not by the
>> browser.
>
> Media Queries only provide you either the browser width/height or the
> device width/height.  So your responsive designs are all based off
> this information already.
>
> Content-based queries are unfortunately quite troublesome, for reasons
> that have been explained before on the www-style list.
>
> ~TJ

Responsive design at this point is primarily about the layout. There's
a little bit done with the content, but generally it is just in making
sure the content itself is elastic to fill the layout space given.

It makes sense that content-aware queries would be difficult, as i'm
sure if coded incorrectly they could go recursive and tumble over.

Though, I don't think that means we should just accept a less than
perfect solution because the correct one is hard.