Re: [whatwg] Features for responsive Web design

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> >> For two, I'm not sure that it's particularly obvious that when you say
> >> "2x", you should make sure your image was saved as 196dpi.  You have
> >> to already know what the default resolution is.
> >
> > You don't have to. The resolution of the image is ignored.
>
> If you don't set your image's resolution appropriately, you'll get
> unexpected sizing effects.

I think the terms are confused, since we use "resolution" to refer to both
image dimensions and DPI, which are very different things.  We might want
to avoid the term in a discussion that involves both.

The DPI is ignored by browsers, of course; it's the dimensions vs. the
scale factor that you have to get right.

It would probably help readability a lot if you're allowed to use ratios,
eg. 300/96 to mean 3.125.

--
Glenn Maynard