Re: [whatwg] Features for responsive Web design

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:39:59 +0200
To: Matthew Wilcox <mail@matthewwilcox.com>
Cc: Jason Grigsby <jason@cloudfour.com>, whatwg@whatwg.org
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Matthew Wilcox <mail@matthewwilcox.com> wrote:
> Um, the fact of the matter is we don't want to ensure they have the
> same ratio. It is exactly why we want to swap images sometimes - the
> aspect ratio no longer fits the design being applied at the given
> breakpoint.

I think you misunderstand the scenario I'm talking about.

You do want to vary the aspect-ratio based on screen-size breakpoints.
 For example, you may want to go from a 1024x300 image to a 600x200
image when the window is less than 1024px wide.

You *don't* want to vary the aspect-ratio when you're just selecting
different resolutions.  As far as I know, there's no use-case for
actually giving *different images* when you just select on resolution
(after you've already decided which to use based on breakpoints).  I'm
ready to be corrected, but I haven't seen anything against this
assumption yet.

~TJ