Re: [whatwg] Features for responsive Web design

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Jason Grigsby <jason@cloudfour.com> wrote:
> Are you saying that all of the image source listed in srcset would have the same aspect ratio? In the example Hixie provided, face-icon.png is a different ratio.
>
> Another way to read this could be that you’re fine so long as your sources with different densities (e.g., 1x, 2x, etc) always have the same ratio. If so, I’m unclear on how that solves the problem when you have images that need different cropping like the Nokia example which is vertical in one case and horizontal in another.

That's what I'm saying.  Authors *can* ensure that, within a
particular breakpoint, their multi-res images all have the same ratio.
 It's a good idea, since the *intention* is that the multi-res
versions are all exact same image, just at different resolutions.

If you don't do that, you get unpredictable results, but you asked for that.

If you *do* do that, then you know what your aspect ratio will be, and
you can predict which breakpoint will be chosen and pair that with MQs
to adjust the rest of your layout.

~TJ