Re: [whatwg] Implementation complexity with elements vs an attribute (responsive images)

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 21:57:21 -0400
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On 5/13/12 12:21 PM, Mathew Marquis wrote:
> The amount of “developers can never be trusted with this” sentiment I’ve heard from the members of this group is incredibly depressing.

For the record, developing a web browser and in the process realizing
how much web content is fundamentally completely broken is incredibly
depressing.

Hence the general attitude of the UA vendors in this group.

Now we may perhaps have a skewed perspective: sites that are
well-designed and Just Work in all browsers all the time don't show up
on browser vendors' radars, obviously.

But such sites are actually rather rare, in my experience.  Pretty much
every single high-profile site I can think of has had completely broken
code on it at various points; several do today.  Not only that, but a
good fraction of the time when you point the brokenness out to the site
maintainers they don't bother fixing it.

Non-high-profile sites tend to be even worse: they have less of a
budget, and more broken things going on.  :(

And yes, it's all depressing as you said.

-Boris