[whatwg] Double meaning of the <u> element

I know it's contentious, but as a teacher it's very simple to teach
students of HTML5 that:
<u> = underline
<b> = bold
<i> = italic
<s> = strikethrough

Of course, I also teach <strong> and <em>, but the simplest way to teach
<b> and <i> is that it's merely an easy way to create bold or italic
text when the meaning of <strong> or <em> doesn't apply. They represent
a convenience that spares the author the work of using span tags and
creating a CSS class with font-weight or font-style properties. <u> is
the same, just an easy way to create underlined text. It doesn't really
need semantics piled on top of it - that just makes it harder to teach
and learn. But using Chinese names or misspelled text as /examples/ of
when to use <u> is another matter.

I grok the desire to have all tags defined semantically, but if the
semantic definitions add unnecessary complexity, then it just seems like
a kludge. Anyone can understand <b> = bold.

Shaun

--
Shaun Moss
+61 405478912