[whatwg] API for encoding/decoding ArrayBuffers into text

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Something that has come up a couple of times with content authors
> lately has been the desire to convert an ArrayBuffer (or part thereof)
> into a decoded string. Similarly being able to encode a string into an
> ArrayBuffer (or part thereof).
>
> Something as simple as
>
> DOMString decode(ArrayBufferView source, DOMString encoding);
> ArrayBufferView encode(DOMString source, DOMString encoding,
> [optional] ArrayBufferView destination);
>
> would go a very long way. The question is where to stick these
> functions. Internationalization doesn't have a obvious object we can
> hang functions off of (unlike, for example crypto), and the above
> names are much too generic to turn into global functions.

Shouldn't this just be another ArrayBufferView type with special
semantics, like Uint8ClampedArray? DOMStringArray or some such? And/or a
getString()/setString() method pair on DataView?

Incidentally I _strongly_ suggest we only support UTF-8 here.