Re: [whatwg] A mechanism to improve form autofill

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:52:23 +0100
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org, whatwg <whatwg@whatwg.org>
Maciej Stachowiak writes:

> On Jul 25, 2012, at 11:21 PM, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name> wrote:
>
> > I would also like to point out that this feature seems to overlap
> > with not only type="" (as has been pointed out), but inputmode="" as
> > well, and for that matter pattern="".  I think it would be quite
> > unfortunate if authors found themselves writing things like
> >
> >  <input inputmode="numeric" pattern="\d{16}" autocompletetype="cc-num">
> >
> > because that's logically pretty redundant.
>
> The specific combo of features you list is highly foreseeable.

Perhaps specifying certain autocomplete types could set defaults for
pattern and inputmode? So for this example autocomplete=cc-num would, if
pattern isn't specified, imply pattern=\d{16}, and equivalently for
inputmode?

> You may be right that there will be harder to predict scenarios.

By having the highly foreseeable cases merely be defaults for pattern
and inputmode, it allows anybody doing something less predictable to
still set those attributes explicitly.

The complicated cases would be possible, but wouldn't force redundancy
on the common cases.

Cheers

Smylers
--