Re: [whatwg] Administrivia: Update on the relationship between the WHATWG HTML living standard and the W3C HTML5 specification

Le 25/07/2012 16:36, Bronislav Klučka a écrit :
> On 25.7.2012 16:04, David Bruant wrote:
>> Le 25/07/2012 15:32, Bronislav Klučka a écrit :
>>> And my last remark: I hope major browser vendors will chose to
>>> follow the same path, the same implementation of tasks, but not all
>>> major vendors are part of WHATWG (as far as I know), and if some
>>> choose to follow W3C and some different WHATWG drafts of the same
>>> task, what would happen?
>> Interesting question...
>>
>>> (Thou I do not think it actually will happen). To put it simply, it
>>> does not matter, what either W3C or WHATWG codify, what matter is,
>>> what browsers implement - it was always about vendors...
>> ... which you answer yourself to.
>> If the WHATWG continue to work in ways that we know (including
>> codifying de facto standards to preserve content backward
>> compatibility), then no matter what browsers will to do (follow one
>> spec or several or none), the end result is that the WHATWG will
>> codify what works.
>> As an example, they spec'ed innerHTML which was first implemented in
>> IE (and followed by all others) which isn't part of the WHATWG. There
>> are probably dozens of these examples.
> This goes to my "Interesting question", I do understand the advantage
> of "codifying supported convention", but in case of differences... And
> it's already happening (on vendor level... maybe not differences at
> the same task, but different approaches on similar tasks, decisions
> not to implement some parts of WebApp - but I guess it's inevitable).
In case of differences, often, if some content is found to behave
differently, some browsers will fix to align with the others after
discussion (usually in standards mailing-lists, because that's what they
are really here for).
If at some point all content decide to follow what some browser say, the
others will follow creating a de facto standard.

You seem to be worried about what browsers will implement, but in the
long term, there is no reason. In the long term, they will all align on
parts of the spec that matter (that people cover by writing actual
content for it).
I admit short term is a bit more chaotic, though.

David