Re: [whatwg] alt="" and the <meta name=generator> exception

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 15:05:23 +0300
To: whatwg <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> wrote:
> This is an improvement, but I think Edward O'Connor's points still apply.

Indeed. The spec edit is a rather disappointing response.

> I think it would be better to keep the alt attribute always required but
> recommend that conformance checkers have an option of switching off errors
> related to this

The big question is whether that would be enough to solve the problem
of generators generating bogus alts in order to pass validation. I
predict generator writers would want the generator output to pass
validation with the default settings and, therefore, what you suggest
wouldn't fix the problem that the spec is trying to fix.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi