[whatwg] Input modes: Please help me with some research!

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:53:49 +0000 (UTC)
To: whatwg@whatwg.org

One of the features that I'm looking at specifying (again) is a mechanism
for authors to help user agents pick the most appropriate input mode. For
some cases this is easy; for example, user agents can know that an <input
type=number> field should have a numeric keyboard. However, in some other
cases it's not at all obvious; e.g. you want a numeric keyboard for credit
card fields, which are type=text.

To do this properly, I need to have a list of all the possible keyboards
we should expose. Two things would be helpful to that end:

 - Screenshots of keyboards

 - Details of APIs in existing platforms that control input modes.

I've added some screenshots of keyboards from Android to this wiki page:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Text_input_keyboard_mode_control

If anyone can help out by adding more screenshots from other platforms,
especially for non-English input languages, or by providing links to
documentation for input mode APIs on operating systems that support them
that would be great.