Re: [whatwg] Allow author's data either in header and footer

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:43:53 +0100
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
Aurelio De Rosa writes:

> ... where to have the author's data inside an <article>. According to
> specification, the header
>
> The header element represents a group of introductory or navigational
> aids.

Yep. And for some articles the byline could be seen to be introductory.

> while the footer
>
> A footer typically contains information about its section such as who wrote
> > it, links to related documents, copyright data, and the like.
>
> So the specs assert that the author's data have to stay into the
> <footer>.

No, the spec gives examples of what kind of things a footer "typically"
contains, to aid understanding the purpose of the element. It is clearly
not a definitive list (it says "such as" and "the like"), is and does
not say you "have to" do anything.

> If we consider a tipical structure of an <article>
> (header-article-footer), it is already an habit to see the [author]
> data in both locations (<header> and <footer>).

Indeed.

> the question will became a simple matter of taste and habit.

It already is, with the spec as it is.

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2