Re: [whatwg] iframe sandbox attribute

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 20:56:08 -0400
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On 7/9/12 8:39 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Surely that's going to set the attribute regardless of whether the
> attribute is nullable or whatnot.

Well, that depends on how reflecting "DOMString?" attributes are
defined.  Making setting null call removeAttribute would work much like
boolean attributes work.

> I mean, this always sets the attribute
> even if the attribute wasn't previously set:
>
>     myElement.title = myElement.title

Yes, but myElement.checked = myElement.checked does not.

>> More importantly,
>>
>>    myOtherFrame.sandbox = myFrame.sandbox;
>>
>> doesn't have weird surprising behavior if the attribute is something
>> whose value sanely distinguishes between the various possible sandbox
>> values.
>
> I'm not sure I follow.

The point is that 'not set' and 'empty string' don't mean the same thing
for @sandbox, and ideally the DOM reflection would preserve the distinction.

> I think remaining consistent with other non-boolean attributes, and thus
> having the setter always set the attribute, is fine.

And I think it's a footgun.....

-Boris