Re: [whatwg] HTMLForms: Implicit Submission with {display:none} button

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 17:38:30 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "whatwg@whatwg.org" <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>, Rob Crowther <robertc@boogdesign.com>
On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

>  On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> >
> > I don't think the existence of implicit submit should depend on platform
> > conventions, though, for interop on forms without visible submit
> > buttons. The form implicit submit takes is a platform convention, but it
> > should be required to exist in some form or another.
>
> User agents aren't actually required to let users input anything, so it
> doesn't make much sense to require submission be possible...

This is only relevant for UAs which don't care if forms are usable, which
is most of them.  If forms are expected to work in the first place, then
there needs to be an implicit submit mechanism.  Every browser I'm aware of
has one, and lots of pages depend on this, so it seems like this should be
required somewhere (even if it's conditional upon something like "if user
form entry is supported").

--
Glenn Maynard