[whatwg] Why won't you let us make our own HTML5 browsers?

On 1.2.2012 5:14, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> 2012/1/31 Bronislav Klu?ka <Bronislav.Klucka at bauglir.com
> <mailto:Bronislav.Klucka at bauglir.com>>
>
>     On 1.2.2012 1:36, Ian Hickson wrote:
>

>             I am not interested in the argument that "It is just too
>             dangerous".
>             Browsers already allow people to download executables with
>             a couple
>             clicks, not to mention install privileged browser add-ons.
>             Enough said.
>
>         Well, in all fairness, browsers and operating systems are
>         going out of
>         their way to make this harder and harder. Some (e.g. iOS,
>         ChromeOS) make
>         it essentially impossible now, others (e.g. Android) require
>         you to
>         explicitly opt-in to an obscure developer mode feature before
>         allowing it,
>         others (e.g. MacOS, Windows) keep track of where files were
>         obtained from
>         and give dire warnings before running apps from the Web.
>
>     And you have apparently no idea how annoying this is, I cannot
>     even imagine a car being built
>     with this constant paranoia in mind.
>

> OF COURSE cars are built with these "constant paranoias". Just google
> "seat belts" and "airbags" along with all other safely systems modern
> cars implement for passengers. And many countries limit the maximum
> speed of cars (manufacturers impose these restrictions
> by artificially limiting the maximum speed) so that they can't drive
> beyond certain speed.
>
>     because, well, you might get killed in car... so no one will ever
>     drive in a car anymore...
>

> And these safely systems and regulations are imposed upon drivers in
> order to ensure the safety of the drivers themselves and others.
> Without them, drivers have to put extraordinary efforts to gauge the
> safety of cars they purchase and make necessary modifications in order
> to feel safe driving them. Furthermore, cars without necessary safely
> systems may end up increasing the motility rate of car accidents.
>
>     Let people have their own responsibility for what they do! This is
>     like the lamest reasoning ever,
>     the approach of "we will protect you even against your will"...
>     man this sounds like really scary politicians out there...
>

> Your reasoning is seriously flawed at best.
>
>     The fact, that people are giving permission to operation they do
>     not care to find information about to some program/site
>     they know nothing about... Well it's their choice...
>

> The problem is that most of users don't understand what they're
> signing up for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIlTB84-Ho
>
> - Ryosuke

Thank you for making my point... twice... FileApi... I simply cannot
ride that car... fine, there's no direct access to whole disc, I hate
the idea, but I can live with that, can I at least have full access to
directory of user's choice? No. Sockets? Can I run this car? no, I have
to put a horse ahead to have a feeling that car is actually going
somewhere etc, etc...
And we are not discussing forbidding people to letting themselves being
slaves (or sell their souls), we are discussing here forbidding knife,
because who cares how useful in might be for so many people, some people
might get hurt by violence of others or incompetence of themselves.
No one is questioning some line being drawn somewhere, I'm discussing
where it's being drawn...

Web technologies are the holy grail of programming language, the
ultimate answer to eternal question: "easy multiplatform language".

My dream is to actually have a high level application platform being
able to run "anywhere". Yeah, I know about Java, .NET/Mono, Object
Pascal... I actually do write multiplatform applications in .NET/Mono,
and Object Pascal... fine as languages, but considering the
multiplatform feature... all pretty much a failure (do not get me wrong,
it can be done in those platforms, but given the potential here)...
Still I'm being drawn to this little language called ECMAScript,
presentation/definition potentials of CSS/HTML... Imagine how much fun
this could be with web technologies... you just run browser of your
choice anywhere you want, you run an application of your choosing (and
anywhere you are, always the same), you can manage your remote data,  if
you want them remote, you can manage local data, if you want them local
(that is the very point of everything I wrote so far)... It would be so
easy and we are so close.... Java Applets suck it :).
Why do I need to turn on Delphi or Visual Studio to program desktop
application? Why can't I just use web technologies within browser and
then only wrap data interface around some store/retrieve mechanism
(local, remote)? Well, it can be done locally, sure... all you need to
do is install web / web socket server on local computer itself, write
server side of that application...
Just imagine it... no platform porting, changing desktop application to
remote application in a matter of hours, having remote servers only when
you need them...

Web technologies are the holy grail of programming language, the
ultimate answer to eternal question: "easy multiplatform language".

Brona