[whatwg] Proposal: Exclude robots on a per-link basis

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 20:27:24 +0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011, Markus Ernst wrote:

> Viewing the logs of applications I wrote, I noticed that a considerable
> number of requests are from robots following links of types such as "Add
> to shopping cart" or "Remember this item" - links that typically point
> to the same page they are clicked on, with some GET variable that
> triggers an action on the server.

That's mis-use of GET. The right solution is to not use a link.

Because of this, I haven't added a new feature for this request.

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011, Eric Shtivelberg wrote:

> The rel="nofollow" does serve a purpose and it is even supported by all
> major search engines, but there's a big "but" - some of them do follow
> it but don't use it, see:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow#Interpretation_by_the_individual_search_engines

Technically rel=nofollow doesn't mean that robots shouldn't follow the
link, it means that authority shouldn't flow through the link in systems
that attempt to rank pages (e.g. search engines).