[whatwg] Feedback on Meta referrer

On 1/26/12 9:12 AM, Adam Barth wrote:
>> Should the speculative parser have knowledge of<meta name=referrer>?
>
> That's not what's currently specified.  Like many other browser
> features, this feature lets web sites detect that the browser is
> speculatively prefetching resources.  If that's a big issue, it's
> something we can try to address.

It seems like a bigger problem is that if speculative prefetches don't
know about this <meta> then they will leak the referrer, which is
something the site did NOT want to happen.  So it seems like either this
when prefetching.  Either way, the prefetch code needs to know about it.

> I'm not sure all implementations have the speculative parser
> understand<base>.  For example, WebKit's preload scanner does not
> appear to understand the<base>  element:
>
> http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WebCore/html/parser/HTMLPreloadScanner.cpp

That's not as big a deal, because it will just mean you prefetch the
wrong thing and have to do a second fetch.  (That said, I think we may
have had bug reports about the prefetch not understanding <base>; Henri
would know for sure).

-Boris