[whatwg] should we add beforeload/afterload events to the web platform?

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> On 1/17/12 7:24 PM, James Robinson wrote:
>
>> Even this scheme doesn't work with a model like SPDY push or other
>> bundling techniques or with more aggressive preloading that initiates
>> loads before the main resource is loaded.
>>

> Er... you mean it initiates loads before it has any idea whether the main
> resource might have changed such that it no longer links to the objects in
> question?

The way that these sorts of schemes work is that the server knows that a
set of resources are needed in addition to the main resource and it starts
sending them down before the client has received/parsed the main resource.
 The server serving foo.html can have a pretty good idea about whether
foo.html contains the string "<script src=foo.js>" so there isn't any real
reason for it to not serve foo.js at the same time assuming that the
underlying protocol can handle such a thing.  In situations with high RTTs
and reasonable bandwidth (like common mobile networks) this can be a big
win.

I bring this up to make sure that we aren't making promises about resource
loads that we can't keep.

- James