[whatwg] input type=date

From: Scott González <scott.gonzalez@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 13:39:21 -0500
I think the following note answers your question:

"Note: The format shown to the user is independent of the format used for
form submission. Browsers are encouraged to use user interfaces that
present dates according to the conventions of the user's preferred locale."
-
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/states-of-the-type-attribute.html#date-state-(type=date)