[whatwg] <di>? Please?

From: Sean Hogan <shogun70@westnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 22:34:23 +1100
On 10/01/12 6:32 PM, Hugh Guiney wrote:
> As I understand it, the main reason for rejecting<di>  was that it
> solves a problem that is allegedly CSS's job, but as an author who
> uses<dl>s quite extensively, adding a grouping element would really
> make my life a lot easier.

I would prefer <li> for this role, and IIRC most browsers will parse
this as desired. Unfortunately the <li> elements by default have a list
marker which requires extra CSS to work-around, e.g.

     dl > li { list-style-type: none; }

> Yes, my most common problem with<dl>s is styling them, but it's
> hardly CSS's fault. What kind of styling am I attempting to do?
> Mostly, to arrange them in columns.

Another styling use-case is styling specific name-value groups within
the <dl>, e.g.

     dl > li.hidden { display: none; }

     dl > li.closed > dd { display: none; }

     dl > li::even { background-color: #ccc; }