[whatwg] A few questions on HTML5

Hi

On 3.1.2012 10:32, Mani wrote:
> I had a few quick questions on HTML5 (I have been looking at it for
> about a month now, and I am fascinated by the possibilities).
I do not want to be rude, but such questions does not belong here, this
is not generic or Q&A forum, this is spec. designers technical
discussion group.
see
http://www.whatwg.org/mailing-list
http://forums.whatwg.org/bb3/index.php
> 1. I believe HTML5 will use no DTD, is that right? So there will be
> rules for HTML5 processors (browsers) that they should follow? Can you
> also comment as to why?? (I believe the reason is to support not
> well-formed HTML and still not contradict other standards.??)
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/syntax.html#syntax
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/parsing.html#parsing

HTML5 is self contained language, not based on SGML or XML. The reason
is simply due to historical baggages, which are not according to
specification yet which are industry standarts. WHATWG recognized the
fact that some structures may be invalid according to SGML/XML, but
still can be useful / the most obvious / etc. solutions. So WHATWG
simply took the reality existing on the web for 2 decades and created
(is creating) language, that will be completely specified and backward
compatible.
To put it simply, HTML has begun to be too large and important to be
bound by certain constraining rules.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-xhtml-syntax.html#writing-xhtml-documents
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/HTML_vs._XHTML

> I will have a couple of more questions based on these responses.
You can find lot of answers by reading specification and other resources

Spec: http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/spec.html
Differences from HTML4: http://dev.w3.org/html5/html4-differences/
Guide for developers: http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-author/
HTML5 Design principles: http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-design-principles/