[whatwg] Decimal comma in numeric input

On 08/02/2012, at 12:39 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012, Cameron Heavon-Jones wrote:
>>
>> The lang attribute is the structural declaration of the content's
>> localization, be it prose or data values.
>
> Technically it just sets the language, not the localisation. I expect we
> will in due course add an attribute to explicitly set the locale of the
> content in the page. How it's rendered would then be controlled by new
> features in CSS (e.g. the page locale could be "British", and the
> presentation could be "American", which would mean dates would have their
> day and month fields flipped over). Similarly, the presentation layer
> ultimately controls the widgets, including how they work and what input
> formats they expect, e.g. through XBL or whatever replaces it.
>
> This is all pie in the sky, though, it doesn't exist today.

Yes, for the interested the following is a great description of locale\language distinction and it's relative fuzziness:

http://unicode.org/reports/tr35/#Locale

I think however that the "lang" tag and resolution algorithm is currently more that adequate and takes all the required configuration into account for resolution of declaration and intent.

The 'flip' is already possible by user-preference override which appears to mostly be the default implementation choice in browsers.

I agree that CSS is a better place for this to be defined and XBL the method for rich interfaces.

Looking forward to some tasty pie flavoured from around the world, or mashed up into a regional taste :)

Quick additional thought, potentially the translate attribute may be used as an additional indicator as to the scope of 'flipping'.

Thanks,
Cam