Re: [whatwg] Submitting contentEditable Content In A Form

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> How common is it for a part of a page to be editable when the page is
> loaded, for there to be no formatting UI, for the page to not mind if the
> user uses the browser's own formatting features (e.g. dragging and
> dropping formatted text into an editable region, using Ctrl+B, etc), and
> for the process of submitting the update to the server to consist of
> literally a form submission?
>
> I don't recall ever seeing a page like this. Literally every time I've
> seen contenteditable, it's had _some_ script beyond what is needed to
> shunt the value into a form control.
>
> If it's something that really does happen commonly, then sure, let's
> support it.

In my experience, practically any use of contenteditable involves
script of some kind, and in fact it's hard to make any practical use
of it with less than hundreds of lines of script.  Thousands is more
typical.  So the few lines required to submit don't seem significant.

(Not all browsers make Ctrl-B or such do anything automatically in
contenteditable, either, so you can't even get basic richtext
formatting without script.)