Re: [whatwg] Proposal for HTML5: Virtual Tours

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012, Jesús Ruiz García wrote:

> So far, all the more powerful virtual tours I've seen, are made in Flash.
> Usually, these tours are created with the following applications:
> *Easypano Virtual Tour Software*, *3DVista*, *Flashificator*, *Autopano Tour
> * and some others.
>
> An example of Easypano virtual tour:
> http://www.vitaldent.com/nuestras_clinicas.jsp
>
> Other examples using 3DVista:
> http://www.3dvista.com/virtual-tours-samples.htm
>
> I've been reviewing whether some library is being developed to support the
> creation of these applications on HTML5. I found a project called
> Pannellum, which uses WebGL:
> http://www.mpetroff.net/archives/2012/05/28/introducing-pannellum/
> For now though it works properly on Chrome, but isn't powerful or
> beautiful, as are the tours developed with Flash applications.
>
> My proposal is to give more support to this type of works.

To add support for these, we need to know what they need. What is the Web
platform missing that will help with such virtual tours?

> We could create a new tag called "tour" or something similar. If video
> and audio have own tag, also a tour could be differentiated from the
> other elements of the website.

What would such an element do?

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012, Jesús Ruiz García wrote:

> Surely with Canvas (WebGL) can be created perfectly virtuals tours. I'll
> try to do some testing and I will comment on results.

I believe Google Maps can be made to use WebGL for its street view tours.

> By the way, what label should be used to indicate this type of media?.
> Canvas?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Can you elaborate?