Re: [whatwg] StringEncoding: Allowed encodings for TextEncoder

On 8/7/2012 12:39 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I seem to have a recollection that we discussed only allowing encoding
> to UTF8 and UTF16LE, UTF16BE. This in order to promote these formats
> as well as stay in sync with other APIs like XMLHttpRequest.
>
> However I currently can't find any restrictions on which target
> encodings are supported in the current drafts.
>
> One wrinkle in this is if we want to support arbitrary encodings when
> encoding, that means that we can't use "insert a the replacement
> character" as default error handling since that isn't available in a
> lot of encoding formats.

I found that the wiki version of the proposal cites
<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/encoding/raw-file/tip/Overview.html> as the way
to find encodings.

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth