[whatwg] Encoding Sniffing

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:21:56 +0200

This morning I looked into what it would take to define Encoding Sniffing.
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Encoding#Sniffing has links as to what I
looked at (minus Opera internal). As far as I can tell Gecko has the most
comprehensive approach and should not be too hard to define (though
writing it all out correctly and clear will be some work).

I have some questions though:

1) Is this something we want to define and eventually implement the same
2) Does this need to apply outside HTML? For JavaScript it forbidden per
the HTML standard at the moment. CSS and XML do not allow it either. Is it
used for decoding text/plain at the moment?
3) Is there a limit to how many bytes we should look at?

Anne van Kesteren