[whatwg] Canvas v5 API additions

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 22:17:45 -0500
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:

> I recently was shown an canvas based game which had been forced to use
> WebGL purely for the reason of needing blending modes. I believe the
> use-case in that example was when the game character was shot at, the
> background of the game should be rendered with a varying red tint.

Bear in mind that the use cases down this line are endless; the end-game is
WebGL, with programmable blending.  (Fixed, preprogrammed blending, like
shifting the color of blits, is simply WebGL minus a decade or so of
technology--that is, OpenGL 1.x.)  Since that's probably not where 2d
canvas means to go, the line needs to be drawn somewhere.  I don't know
where that line should be, of course, but there will always be a point
where people will need to make the jump from 2d canvas to WebGL.

--
Glenn Maynard