[whatwg] Fullscreen changes to support <dialog>

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Sean Hogan <shogun70 at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> So the ::backdrop could be styled to not cover the whole page?

Yes.  It's there for convenience only, since people often want an
element that does exactly this.  If we didn't provide it explicitly,
they'd just awkwardly wrap their <dialog>s in a background element
anyway.

> Could it default to a "top" layer, but optionally be given a z-index?

Can you describe a use-case for putting the ::backdrop somewhere other
than directly underneath the dialog/fullscreen element?

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Sean Hogan <shogun70 at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> So this "top" layer prevents all user-interaction with the rest of the page?
>
> If that's the case, it seems a bit inflexible. I would imagine that some UI
> designers would like parts of the page to still be clickable - a couple of
> examples:
>
> - a toggle button to show / hide the dialog (probably part of a menu-bar).
> - a menu bar with buttons that, when activated, first dismiss the dialog

Both of your examples would be done by using elements that are
children of the <dialog>, and perhaps just positioned explicitly
somewhere.

~TJ