[whatwg] <comment> and <ad> elements

4.9.2011 23:27, Odin wrote:

> We already have a comment tag. It's listed in the article-element
> section of the spec. Article within article is suggested to be a
> comment:

Suggested, not defined.

>> When article elements are nested, the inner article elements represent
>> articles that are in principle related to the contents of the outer article.

That's the definition of the meaning of nesting article elements: "in
principle related to".

>> For instance, a blog entry on a site that accepts user-submitted
>> comments could represent the comments as article elements nested
>> within the article element for the blog entry.

That's an example. "Could represent".

If we assume that authors use elements as per the spec as currently
worded, you _cannot_ decide that an article inside an article is a
comment. Just as it might be. It could be anything "in principle related
to" the contents of the outer article.

Besides, while many principal entries in a blog are relatively
self-contained and might be suitable for syndication, I don't think most
blog _comments_ share that property. A comment is _typically_ strongly
dependent on the context and seldom suitable for syndication. So making
authors and systems use <article> for blog comments would be bad for the
very idea of <article>.

If we think that comments need markup of their own, then I guess
<comment> would be OK, on the grounds already presented, and the natural
way to create useful semantic associations would be to allow (and
recommend) <comment> elements to have an attribute, say for=..., that
refers (by id) to the element that it comments on - maybe with the added
semantics that if the referred element is a link (<a href>), then the
comment is about the linked resource, not the link as such.

This would make it possible to marku up some content as a comment to
some _external_ document too, such as a different page in the same
system, in a discussion forum view where each entry is displayed as a
separate HTML document, just linked to others in the thread.

And in the rare cases where a comment constitutes syndicatable content,
it could of course contain an <article> element.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/