[whatwg] XHR Level 2: Accurate Speed Measurement

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 20:20:40 -0500
On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Rodger Combs <rodger.combs at gmail.com>wrote:

> The UA can poll the state of the down/upload more often, and create a more
> accurate average using these additional data points.

This won't provide any better an estimate than updating every 50ms, as
you'll get with PE.

 It also has access to lower-level information about the network
> connection, and possibly knows about throttling placed by either the
> browser or the OS.

This isn't very interesting unless "possibly" is "actually"--unless someone
really intends to implement something like this.  I'm not aware of any
browser-level bandwidth throttling in any major browser, nor of any in at
least consumer versions of Windows, so this seems purely theoretical.

--
Glenn Maynard