[whatwg] Proposal for separating script downloads and execution

On Wed, 25 May 2011, Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> # [02:21] <jamesr> the only thing we do on a chunk of script in v8
> currently before starting to execute code is to essentially brace
> match

It's presumably a whole heck of a lot more complex than brack matching:

   alert('fail');
   function test () {
     // ...megabytes of perfectly fine code...
     a b;
   }

...had better not alert anything.

What we really need though is perf data, e.g. comparing how browsers
handle code such as:

   <script>
    var times = [];
    times.push(new Date());
   </script>
   <script>
    times.push(new Date());
    function test() {
      // ...megabytes of complicated code...
    };
    times.push(new Date());
    test();
    times.push(new Date());
   </script>

What are the deltas between all the times in various browsers?

I would expect the deltas to be a high number, 0, and a high number
respectively. However, if it is different then the assumptions that
underlie the spec are wrong, and there's probably something we can work on
to make the Web better.