[whatwg] getSelection().modify() in vertical writing modes

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:55:39 -0700
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> Is there is a significant amount of HTML editing JavaScript code that would
> just work with vertical text if not for this one detail? In that case, it
> might be appropriate to utilize such tricks indeed.

I'd expect that many rich text editors will break if we made
modify('move'/'extend', 'left'/'right', 'character') to move between lines.

Otherwise, asking authors to make the change from "right" to "forward"
> appears like a very appropriate thing to ask for, among other things
> necessary to support vertical text.

I don't think most of developers care vertical text enough to fix their
websites/web apps just like many developers don't even know what input
method is.

Besides, 'left' and 'right' semantics is already lost given we have
'character' and 'line' granularities.  For all practical purposes, they're
'left' and 'right' in the sense of bi-directional text, not physical/visual
'left' or 'right'.

- Ryosuke