[whatwg] Can we deprecate alert(), confirm(), prompt() ?

From: Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 14:03:07 -0700

28.02.2011, ? 21:38, Ojan Vafai ???????(?):

> FWIW, chromium is planning on experimenting with disallowing modal dialogs
> during the beforeunload/unload events.
> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=68780

What is the big difference between alerts from unload and alerts in general? Alerts are not particularly useful for anything besides debugging, and pagehide/unload handlers is a place where they I've found them particularly useful for debugging.

Do we have at least anecdotal evidence that many sites are showing alerts from unload? When I'm seeing a site that tries to prevent me from leaving it, it's always by returning a string from onbeforeunload.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov