[whatwg] input element list attribute and filtering suggestions

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> I have no idea how the UA would be smart enough to figure out if
> filtering makes sense or not based on the set of suggestions.

You could do something like:

 - if there are 7 or fewer suggestions, show them all.
 - if filtering reduces the list to 1 to 7 suggestions, show those.
 - if there's some way to prioritise the filtered list, show the 7 best
   results from the filtered list.
 - otherwise, show everything.

Exactly how the filtering is done can vary, in a way similar to how
autocomplete dropdowns in browser location bars have pretty involved
heuristics for figuring out how to filter to a few results.

> Are you suggesting that filter/no-filter should be selected using CSS?
> That seems outside of what CSS currently does anywhere.

No, I'm saying it should be done using XBL or its successor.