[whatwg] Why children of datalist elements are barred from constraint validation?

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>>> Looking specifically at <datagrid>'s ability to fall back to <select>, I
>>> agree that it's not necessarily doing to be widely used, but given that
>>> it's so simple to support and provides such a clean way to do fallback, I
>>> really don't see the harm in supporting it.
>>
>> I haven't looked at <datagrid> yet, so I can't comment.
>
> I think he meant <datalist>. ?<datagrid> was axed quite some time ago
> and hasn't made a reappearance that I know of.

Ah, well, then it definitely seems like we should get rid of this
feature. The harm is definitely there in that it's adding a feature
without solving any problem.

For what it's worth, I'm not even convinced there is a problem. The
website can always let the <select> be submitted and ignore it on the
server if it contains a empty value, and then make the first <option>
in the <select> look something like <option value="">You can select a
prefilled value here</option>

/ Jonas