[whatwg] link.sizes and [PutForwards=value]

On Mon, 2 May 2011, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> >> Is there a use case for [PutForwards] (except saving a few characters
> >> for the authors) that could justify the inconsistency?
> >
> > The idea is to be consistent with all the other reflecting attributes,
> > which can mostly all be treated as either strings or numbers. Contrast
> > this with the way attributes are reflected in SVG, where there's a
> > step of indirection to get to the string value due to the animation
> > API. I think this is a case where [PutForwards] and stringification
> > makes sense.
>
> It's inconsistent in that all other objects in javascript stringify to
> "[Object Foo]", whereas this object doesn't.

[PutForwards] doesn't affect that, that's the stringifier. Location, <a>,
and <area> all already have stringifiers, as do lots of objects in JS.

Are we really concerned about objects stringifying to "[Object Foo]"?

It seems that the usefulness of such stringification is far outweighed by
the usefulness of being able to treat the attribute as a string attribute
like any other reflecting attribute while also being able to use methods
on it. In fact, it is consistent with every DOMString attribute: they
don't stringify to "[Object String]", yet you can call methods on them.
What's the difference?

> If the concern is that link.sizes should be consistent with other
> attribute-mapping properties then you're only half-way there since
> typeof tests still behaves differently.

I'm not particularly concerned about such edge cases (who does typeof on
reflecting attributes in a way where the difference here would matter?).
It's the common use that I'm concerned about.

> I definitely agree that the way SVG does it is not ideal. How about
> simply creating a second property, like link.parsedSizes which returns
> the tokenlist?

That's what we're doing (for legacy reasons) with className/classList and
rel/relList, but I consider that an ugly and unfortunate wart on the API.
As much as possible, attributes that take space-separated lists are using
DOMSettableTokenList to avoid this (including a few legacy ones that
aren't as high-profile as class and rel).

On Mon, 2 May 2011, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Of course, an even simpler solution is to remove access to a
> DOMTokenList representing link.sizes entirely. What is the use case? Is
> it really that common to modify link.sizes that we need syntax sugar for
> it?

All the space-separated lists are exposed this way. It would be rather odd
to exclude just one on the basis that we couldn't think of a reason why
this particular one would get changed much.