[whatwg] Accept full CSS colors in the legacy color parsing algorithm

On Friday 2011-04-08 13:54 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> This doesn't match Webkit's behavior.  Instead of steps 5 and 6, we
> just try to parse it as a CSS color.

As I pointed out in
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-May/026449.html
this isn't compatible with doing the following simultaneously:
 * using the algorithm given, which converts the values to colors at
   parse time
 * correctly handling dynamic changes of system appearance for the
   system color values

Correctly handling dynamic changes of system appearance here would
be a significant amount of work even if the algorithm here changed,
and I'd really rather not add that support for a legacy feature, nor
would I like to have an inconsistency between CSS and HTML as to
whether system colors are dynamically updated.

-David

--
?   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   ?
?   Mozilla Corporation               http://www.mozilla.com/   ?