[whatwg] PeerConnection, MediaStream, getUserMedia(), and other feedback

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 18:53:00 +0530, timeless <timeless at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd expect a web app to have no idea about device camera
> specifications and thus to not be able to properly specify a flash
> duration. I don't see how such a thing is valuable.
>
> If a user is in a movie theater, or a museum, it's quite likely they
> won't notice a web app is forcing a flash. Let the user control flash
> through a useragent only or host application only mode. I believe the
> hazards of exposing flash duration outweigh any benefits. The only
> application class I know of built using control of camera flash is
> "flash-light", and that's both a hack and not guaranteed to be
> workable for all possible flash technologies.

Just like, just allowing the web app to use the camera as it is will not
make sense, and presumably, user agents will implement a authorization by
the user before the app gains access to the camera (something like 'This
application requests access to the camera. Allow for now/Always
Allow/Never Allow/Close' just like you do in geolocation right now) ...
just like that, you could do it for flash, where the app only gains access
to it if the user allows it. If that is the implementation, i do not think
there would be much hazards in allowing flash access.

Apart from helping capture images/video in low light conditions, there are
a few other use cases for flash such as the flash light thing you
mentioned, as well as a possible S.O.S type app.

I'm fine if the consensus is that the device/user agent will handle the
issue of flash by showing some sort of control where the user can click
between 'flash on/off/auto'. That will cover *most* of the use cases,
which is recording images/video in low light conditions. If so, then it
might be good to specify that somewhere in the spec just to make things a
bit clearer?