[whatwg] AppCache feature request: An https manifest should be able to list resources from other https origins.

I don't  fully understand your emphasis on the implied semantics of a
CORS request. You say it *only* means a site can read the response. I
don't see that in the draft spec. Cross-origin XHR may have been the
big motivation behind CORS, but the mechanisms described in the spec
appear agnostic with regard to use cases and the abstract section
seems to invite additional use cases.

I do appreciate the using CORS for this feels like blurring the lines
between two different things.  I wonder if there should be additional
request/response headers in CORS to convey the intended "use" of the
resource and whether that particular "use" is allowed?

If not CORS, what mechanism would you suggest to allow HTTPS resources
from another origin to be including in a cache manifest file? Any
means for the 'other' origin to opt in will suite my needs.