[whatwg] HTML5 video: frame accuracy / SMPTE

On 2011-01-21 22:04, Philip J?genstedt wrote:
> Concretely: Add seek(time, flags) where flags defaults to nothing.
> Accurate seeking would be done via seek(time, "accurate") or some
> such. Setting currentTime is left as is and doesn't set any flags.

Hmm. I think the default (nothing) should be synonymous with
"best-effort" (or "best") and leave it to the
browser/os/codec/format/etc. as to what "best effort" actually is.
While "accurate" means as accurate as technically possible, even if it
means increased resource use. I can see online video editing, subtitle
syncing, closed caption syncing, and audio syncing being key usage
examples of that.
And maybe a "simple" flag for when keyframe or second seeking and
similar is good enough, preferring lower resource seeking.
So "best" ("" default) and "accurate" and "simple", that covers most
uses right?

--
Roger "Rescator" H?gensen.
Freelancer - http://www.EmSai.net/