[whatwg] HTML5 video: frame accuracy / SMPTE

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Rob Coenen <coenen.rob at gmail.com> wrote:
> I still want the API to support seeks to exact frames.
>
> eg when I build some GUI that allows the user to click on a button that says
> "explosion shot 1 at 00:31:02.15" then I want the player to seek to
> 00:31:02.15 exactly and not to say, 00:31:02.01 simply b/c that's where a
> keyframe happens to be.

It's unthinkable to me that it wouldn't at least offer exact seeking
as an option. There are too many interesting programmatic things that
you can't do without exact seeking.  Though I don't think that has
anything to do with the default behavior. Since the default behavior
is already inconsistent perhaps it should just be formally declared to
be at the implementers whim.