[whatwg] WebWorkers and images

On 14/01/2011, at 09:32, Simon Pieters wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 22:15:09 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>>> Do current browsers implement the structured clones already ?
>>
>> Firefox 4 does, for postMessage to workers (but not yet to other windows; known bug).  I'm not sure about others.
>
> Opera since 10.60 supports structured clone for workers and cross-document messaging (but not for storage).
>
>>> I think so too for objects composed only of data properties, but what about methods ? getters ? setters ? and prototypes ?
>>
>> "Maybe".  It'd certainly take more work, and might start depending on exactly how your VM is structured.  Restricting to objects with null prototype and no non-data properties has the slight problem that imagedata doesn't have a null prototype.
>
> Structured clone currently doesn't support Functions.

Good. And if I understand it correctly (*), it does make a shallow copy, ignoring the prototype chain, doesn't it ?

(*)http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/common-dom-interfaces.html#internal-structured-cloning-algorithm

Simon, what are your feelings about this proposed mechanism to pass-by-reference and make-unreachable ?
Do you think it's feasible, too ?
--
Jorge.