[whatwg] Timed tracks: feedback compendium

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 21:40:51 +0100, Glenn Maynard <glenn at zewt.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Philip J?genstedt <philipj at opera.com>
> wrote:
>>> But what's the use case? Is it really useful to have comments in a
>>> subtitle file?
>>
>> Being able to put licensing/contact information at the top of the file
>> would
>> be useful, just as it is in JavaScript/CSS.
>
> Inline comments (not just line comments) in subtitles are very
> important for collaborative editing: for leaving notes about a
> translation, noting where editing is needed or why a change was made,
> and so on.
>
> If a DOM-like interface is specified for this (presumably this will
> happen later), being able to access inline comments like DOM comment
> nodes would be very useful for visual editors, to allow displaying
> comments and to support features like "seek to next comment".

My assumptions is that comments would be removed during parsing, just as
in JavaScript and CSS.

If you need an intermediary format while editing, you can just use any
syntax you like and have the editor treat it specially.

--
Philip J?genstedt
Core Developer