[whatwg] Optional non-blocking mode for simple dialogs (alert, confirm, prompt).

On 2/26/11 2:29 PM, Ben Rimmington wrote:

> An optional callback parameter could be added to the simple dialogs API:
>
>> result = window.alert(message, [callback]);

I'll agree that it might be nice if there was an async way to invoke
these prompts. Especially if it had been done that way from the
beginning. :)

But more generally, I wonder if it's worth bothering with now... It's
pretty common for web pages to just implement their own custom
in-content dialogs (floating divs, really), which they have far greater
control over. And starting with Firefox 4, we're making these prompts
tab-modal and non-native looking, so there's not much to be gained by
having the UA provide these. [Other than the side-effects of entering a
modal state, where some timers/events are suppressed. But I'm not sure
that's a desirable feature in and of itself.]

Justin