[whatwg] Applications and document titles

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:13:56 +0100, Bjartur Thorlacius
<svartman95 at gmail.com> wrote:
> and <title> that hasn't yet been exploited. I know there are some
> sites who put event notifications and state information into <title>,
> but I've only seen that done dynamically. State information is only
> ever present in the HTML document itself if the sole purpose of the
> document is to convey said information. <meta name=description> would
> arguably be more appropriate, but nitpicks aside <meta
> name=application-name> would in all cases be be equal to, or a less
> verbose equivalent of <title>. Thus I infer that UAs could use the
> original value of <title> (or <meta name=title>), as opposed to the
> current one in the DOM, whenever they would otherwise use <meta
> name=application-name>.

The initial application page might be e.g. "Inbox - Fancy Pants Mail" but
the application name would still be "Fancy Pants Mail". It's useful for
these to be separate fields. I don't think <meta name=title> is valid by
the way.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/