[whatwg] Proposal for separating script downloads and execution

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 15:06:13 -0000, Kyle Simpson <getify at gmail.com> wrote:

> In most mobile devices I've had the exposure to developing for,
> multi-threading is not possible/available to me. The usual answer, for
> instance for the iPhone, is that true multi-threading will tend to cause
> serious drains on limited battery life, which degrades quality of
> user-experience and user satisfaction. That's the only "anecdotal"
> evidence that I have for how these engines may not be completely free to
> multi-thread as is being suggested.

You're describing issues with background multitasking, which is a
different thing.

iOS fully supports multi-threading in all applications (and did so in
versions which didn't officially support multi-tasking), and Apple
supports and keeps extending that functionality, e.g., added Grand Central
Dispatch in iOS4, which gives iOS multi-threading & multi-core support on
par with Mac OS X.

Single-threaded OSes, even on mobiles, are thing of the past. On platforms
on which modern web apps are usable today, multi-threading is possible.
With multi-core chipsets coming out, it might soon become a necessity!

> You're also ignoring the fact that there are several other documented
> use-cases for execution-deferral that are not related to mobile (or
> multi-threading) at all. That maybe the 80% use-case for this proposal,
> but it's certainly not the only reason we want and need a feature like
> this.

Could you list those issues or point me where these issues are documented?

--
regards, Kornel