[whatwg] Specs for window.atob() and window.btoa()

Hi,

Wrt to the note "some base64 encoders add newlines or other whitespace to their output. atob() throws an exception if its input contains characters other than +/=0-9A-Za-z, so other characters need to be removed before atob() is used for decoding" in http://aryeh.name/spec/base64.html , I think that in the end it's better to ignore any other chars instead of throwing, because skipping over any such chars while decoding is cheaper and requires less memory than scanning the input twice, first to clean it and second to decode it, something you'd not want to end up doing -just in case- everytime.

Say, for example, that you've got a 4MB base64 with (perhaps?) some whitespace, in order to clean it up you're going to have to have it in memory along the cleaned up version at least while constructing the clean version, but if atob() skipped over anything other than +/=0-9A-Za-z you could just pass it directly, and the whole process would be even faster too, given there was no need to clean it up first. FWIW, that's how nodejs is doing it right now.

Also, some tools (e.g. the openssl decoder) *expect* the newlines to be there, and fail if they aren't.
--
Jorge.