[whatwg] navigation shouldn't abort if canceled

On Wednesday 2011-02-02 20:41 +0000, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> For the links to open a new web page that would actually be
> handled by an external app. I remember a few years back when
> Yahoo! Messenger came with such an app that set itself up as your
> default mail program and opened a new window. It would be obvious
> it was a separate app if you clicked on the mailto link on a
> secondary browser that wasn't the system default.
>
> I don't know if webmail clients handle things differently. Does
> this behaviour ever happen without the help of an external app or
> a plugin?

Webmail clients can register themselves with the browser using
registerProtocolHandler:
http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#custom-handlers
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/DOM/Window.navigator.registerProtocolHandler
Firefox also ships with some common Webmail clients pre-configured
in preferences -> Applications -> mailto so they don't even need to
bother registering themselves.

-David